Professor CHEN was born in Tianjin in 1980. He received his Ph.D. from department of history, Xiamen university in 2008, after which he entered department of Chinese, Tianjin university, to pursue an academic career. During 2014-15, he worked at the department of East Asian Languages and Civilizations (EALC), University of Pennsylvania (UPENN) as a visiting scholar. His main area of research is early China (11th century BCE to 3rd century CE). Although his focus is philology and cultural history, the study of this period is necessarily interdisciplinary, and his work also involves linguistics, archaeology, anthropology, art history, and philosophy. His current research project is "Study on the Historical Events during the Spring and Autumn Period (770 BCE-476 BCE)".
2005-2008, Ph.D., Department of History, School of Humanities, Xiamen University.
2002-2005, M.A., Department of Chinese Language and Literature, School of Liberal Arts, Tianjin Normal University.
1998-2002, B.A., Major: Chinese Language, School of Liberal Arts; Minor: English Literature, School of Foreign Languages and Literature. Tianjin Normal University.
3.Positions & Employments
2012-present, Associate Professor. Department of Chinese Language & Literature, School of Foreign Languages and Literature, Tianjin University.
2008-2012, Lecturer. Department of Chinese Language & Literature, School of Foreign Languages and Literature, Tianjin University.
Anthropological linguistics (in English)
General linguistics (in English)
Philology and semiotics
History of linguistic theories
Classical Chinese language
Contemporary Chinese language
Introduction to linguistics
Study on Chinese writing system
Retrieval of liberal arts document
"A Comparative Study on Shang, Zhou and Qin History of the Records of the Grand Historian (Shi Ji《史記》) and Excavated Materials, with Supplementary Pictures". Tianjin People’s Press, 2011. 447 pages. ISBN 978-7-201-07065-0.
a. Articles in Journals:
1) "Social Restructuring by Wang Mang(王莽) in Bronze Inscriptions", Literature and Culture, 2013(4): 33-40.
2) "Methods of Foreign Words’ Translation into Chinese", Journal of Tianjin University (Social Sciences), 2011(5): 476-480.
3) "On the Wine Culture in Ancient China: Research of Characters with Radical 'you'(酉) in Shuowen Jiezi(《說文解字》)", Journal of Xinyang Normal University (Philosophy and Social Science Edition), 2011(2): 64-68.
4) "On the Chinese Collateral Blood Kinship Terms and Family Closeness", Journal of the Qiannan(黔南) Normal College for Nationalities, 2011(1): 32-36.
5) "Records of the Grand Historian (《史記》) as an Example of Research of Ancient Chinese History through the 'Methodology of Triple Evidences'", Journal of Tianjin University (Social Sciences), 2010(1): 71-74.
6) "On the Problem of 'Faqiu(灋丘)' on the Crossbow of 'third year General Li'", Cultural Relics of Central China (Zhongyuan Wenwu《中原文物》), 2008(3): 105-108.
7) "A Review for Preceding Researches and Criticisms on Longkan Shoujing(《龍龕手鏡》)"，Study of Chinese Characters (《中國文字研究》), 2007(2): 211-216, 219.
8) "On the Reconstruction of Chinese Classics", Journal of Xiamen University (Arts & Social Sciences Edition), 2007(1): 5-13. Digest: Digest of Chinese Social Sciences, 2007(3): 179-180.
9) "On the Social Economy of Qi State in the Warring States period from Qi Documents: a Comparative Study of the Inscriptions on Pottery and Received Texts", Journal of Chinese Social and Economic History, 2006(3): 86-92.
b. Articles in Volumes:
1) "On the Rituals in Bronze Inscriptions of Qi State", Study of Chinese Paleography (《古文字研究》), Vol 30, Beijing: Zhonghua Book Company, 2014, 298-304.
2) "On Xingjun and Longkan Shoujing(《龍龕手鏡》)", Sinology and modernity, Intellectual Property Press, 2013, 37-51.
3) "Teaching Chinese Characters to Foreigners from Chinese Cultural Circle", Chinese Characters Education, Chinese Characters Education Society in Korea, 2013, 330-339.
4) "On Spread and Collation of Ancient Chinese Books: A Comparative Study between Tsinghua Bamboo and Received Version of Huangmen(《皇門》) in Yi Zhoushu(《逸周書》) ", Study of Chinese Paleography (《古文字研究》), Vol 29, Beijing: Zhonghua Book Company, 2012, 726-738.
5) "On the Interaction between Society and Characters in the Process of the Dynasty Qin replace Zhou", Forum of Chinese Philology(《文字學論叢》), Vol 6, Beijing: Thread-Binding Books Publishing House(線裝書局), 2012, 245-260.
6) "On the 'Egg' of Black Bird that Swallowed by Jiandi(簡狄)", Study of Chinese Paleography (《古文字研究》), Vol 28, Beijing: Zhonghua Book Company, 2010, 426-430.
7) "Proof-reading Ancient Books with Excavated Texts in Early China: 2 Examples", Forum of Chinese Philology(《文字學論叢》), Vol 5, Beijing: Thread-Binding Books Publishing House, 2010, 199-205.
8) "Interpretation of Ghosts’ Name in Chapter 'Jie' (詰) of Rishu(日書) Vol A in bamboo of Shuihudi Qin Tombs(《睡虎地秦墓竹簡》)", Bamboo and Silk(《簡帛》), Vol 1, Shanghai: Shanghai Ancient Classics Press, 2006, 249-254.
9) "On the Position of Overlap Isomorphism Characters and 'Mirror Image Characters' in Shuowen Jiezi(《說文解字》)", Study of Dhuowen Jiezi(《說文學研究》)，Vol 2, Chongwen Press(崇文書局), 2006, 486-495.
10) "On the Improvement of Radicals in Longkan Shoujing(《龍龕手鏡》)", Research on Chinese Characters(《漢字研究》), Vol 1, Beijing: Xueyuan Press(學苑出版社), 2005, 160-164.
III. Translated Article:
2016 (into Chinese) Paul. R.Goldin. Han Fei’s Doctrine of Self-Interest, in Research in the Traditions of Chinese Culture(《國學學刊》), 2016(4): 14-23.
IV. Book Notice:
2015 (in English) Lillian Lan-ying Tseng. Picturing Heaven in Early China, in Early China, (38): 243-244.
6.Honors & Awards
1) 2013 "Peiyang Scholar", Elite Scholar Program of Tianjin University, 2013.
2) 2013 Excellent Instructor, 12th "Challenge Cup" - Academic Work Competition among Colleges in Tianjin, 2013.
3) 2012 3rd prize, 11th Junior Teacher’s Teaching Competition among Colleges in Tianjin, 2012.
4) 2009 Excellent Instructor of Thesis for Graduation, Tianjin University, 2009.
Address:A-272, 33th Hall, Chengde Loop, Tianjin University, 135 Yaguan Rd. Jinnan District, Tianjin, P. R. China, 300354