Visit TJU

Visit TJU

You are here:4166.com>English>Visit TJU

Places of Interest on campus
 
On Peiyang Park facing the main gate stands Peiyang University Memorial. On its surrounding walls are carved with the University Song, the University Motto "Seeking Truth from Facts", the first Imperially Written Diploma in China awarded by Peiyang University, and a brief history of Tianjin University (Peiyang University).
 
TJU library was established in 1895 as the first university library in China. With an area of 26,000 square meters, TJU library consists with Main Library, Scientific Library and Architecture Library. The average annual readers are over 1.7 million with circulation amounted to 1.8 million.
 
The Sports Arena serves as a venue for university and national sports events. It can hold approximately 5,000 spectators. It was built on behalf of TJU Department of Campus Construction and Planning in line with a design proposal put forward by KSP Jürgen Engel Architekten, Beijing, and in collaboration with the Chinese partner TJU Academy of Architectural Design and Research. The building is 120 meters long, 58 meters wide, and located in the northeast of TJU campus. The new building located between campus and downtown is an important link in the urban structure.
 
The natatorium, built in December of 1998, was designed by TJU Research Institute of Architectural Design and Urban Planning. The wave-shaped space truss is used as the roof of the natatorium, which ingeniously displays the function of the building. The swimming pool is of standard size with 50 meters long, 25 meters wide and 1.65–1.9 meter deep. The water temperature remains above 27and the room temperature remains above 24℃ all year around. 
 
Feng Jicai Research Institute of Literature and Art is a museum for academic research, communication and exhibition. The "Big Tree Painting Gallery" was moved into this museum. This institute has three branches of Literature, Art and Culture for undergraduate education and academic research. The multi-colorful communication with China and foreign counties is imported into the campus to let teachers and students enjoy the elegant social activities. Famous Chinese writer and painter Feng Jicai was engaged as director and professor of the institute.
 
With a total of construction area of 2,000 square meters, TJU History Museum opened on April 29th, 2010. The Museum displays thousands of historical pictures and over 200 valuable historical archives and objects of over 110 years. The exhibition is presented in the form of historical pictures, historical archives, charts, art works and recreated scenes.
 
Building No.9 (Administrative Building), designed by TJU Research Institute of Architectural Design and Urban Planning, was the oldest structure on TJU campus. The building adopts brick and concrete structure and was finished in 1954. 
 
With area of 9,500 square meters, the conference building was built in 2004 with the cooperation of the Architecture Department of TJU. Through deliberation of shape, materials and interior space, the building is assimilated into surroundings on TJU campus with Chinese tradition and Italian design.
 
Newton's apple tree is immortalized by the famous historical anecdote that describes how Newton formulated his universal laws of gravitation after being struck on the head by one of the tree's falling fruits. In February 2007, TJU delegation visited the Woolsthorpe Manor (Isaac Newton's former home) and was presented with a cut piece from Newton's Apple Tree, to plant it at TJU. This was the first time a descendent of the famous tree was grown in Chinese soil. After a successful grafting and careful tending, the 2-meter-tall Flower of Kent now grows in front of the Administrative Building.
XML 地图 | Sitemap 地图